As Vincentians prepare for an above-normal Atlantic Hurricane Season, Prime Minister, Hon. Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has highlighted the cost incurred from damage to infrastructure from a number of recent weather systems.


The Prime Minister spoke at the official opening of the Caribbean Climate Outlook Forum (CariCOF) at the Beachcombers Hotel on Wednesday 31st May.

Prime Minister Gonsalves said that November 2016 set the second highest rainfall in a month recorded at the E.T. Joshua Airport station.

Thursday, 1st June marked the start of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season, which runs through to 30th November.

Forecasters predict a 45% chance of an above-normal season, a 35% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20% chance of a below-normal season.

The forecasters said that there is a 70% likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms, of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes, including 2 to 4 major hurricanes.


SOURCE: NBC

 

Address

Ministry of National Security, Air and Sea Port Development,
2nd Floor, Ministerial Building, Halifax Street,
Kingstown, Saint Vincent

Telephone

(784) 457-1426
PBX
(784) 456-1111
Ext.
463/364
Fax
(784) 457-2152
Email
office.natsec@mail.gov.vc